There are 150 schools in the Cheshire West and Chester area. Some details of local schools are given below. For details of schools outside the CH64 area see here
From September 2013, schools in the CWaC area have a standardised school year, based on 195 days, which includes 5 INSET days:
- All terms will start on a Monday (or a Tuesday if the Monday is a Bank Holiday).
- October half term to be the last full week in October.
- The term dates surrounding the Christmas/ New Year Break remain unchanged.
- February half term will be the third week in February.
- The Easter Break will be named the Spring break and will be the first two full weeks in April.
- Easter will be observed via the Bank Holidays Good Friday and Easter Monday.
- Whitsun half term break will be one week across all Primary, Secondary and Special schools.
- Where the school is open for part of a week, the school will be open for 3 or more days (to encourage good attendance).
- The five INSET days are to be designated by the individual school governing body, but there will be no more than two days (in any one term) set consecutively for this purpose.
Burton Bishop Wilson Church of England Primary School
Puddington Lane Burton, NESTON CH64 5SE
0151 336 3396 email
Mrs Helen Friend (Executive Headteacher) and Mrs Suzanne Roberts (Head of School)
Founded in 1724 by Bishop Thomas Wilson, the school is situated on the edge of the village of Burton, in the parish of St Nicholas. The original school was housed in a small sandstone building which can be still be seen in the village. The present school, built in 1966, looks out over fields to the Dee Estuary and the Welsh Hills. The school was extended in 1993 and again in 2001. The school has a large playing field to the rear with play areas, seating and gardens to the front. There were 73 pupils in 2016.
Ofsted Report November 2016 – Good – For details see here
Neston Primary School
Burton Road, NESTON CH64 9RE
0151 338 2500 email
Neston Primary School opened on the Burton Road site in 1906. There were 198 pupils in 2016.
The school has always been proud of its welcoming atmosphere and strong links with the local community. The school mission statement is “Work hard to make this a welcoming, busy, safe and healthy school, where you will see happy, respectful children who enjoy learning, do their best and achieve their full potential now and later in life”
Ofsted report May 2016 – Good – details
Parkgate Primary School
Brooklands Road, Parkgate NESTON CH64 6SW
0151 338 2082 email
173 on roll December 2018.
Head Mr Andrew Hutchings
Ofsted Report December 2018 Good details
St Winefride’s Catholic Primary School
Mellock Lane, Little Neston NESTON CH64 9RW
0151 338 2468 email
Head Mrs Dawn Ormes.
180 on roll 2018.
St. Winefride’s is a one-form entry, co-educational school in extensive grounds close to the centre of Neston. The younger children are taught in three large, self-contained rooms which, together with the school office and library, was completed in 1967. The second phase, for our older children, was completed in 1974. A dedicated I.C.T. Suite was opened in summer 2002. The school seeks to promote Catholic education by encouraging parents to send their children, at the age of eleven, to our designated Catholic High School in Chester.
Ofsted Report Dec 2018 – Good
Willaston Church of England Primary School
Neston Road, Willaston NESTON CH64 2TN
0151 338 2421
Head Mrs Julie Chambers
The school opened in 1932. In 2021 there were 209 students.
Ofsted report April 2017 Good. For details see here
Woodfall Primary School
Woodfall Lane, Little Neston, NESTON CH64 4BT
0151 338 2288 email
Head Mrs Helen Hough
396 on roll 2014. Woodfall Primary School opened in September 2005, following the amalgamation of Woodfall Infant and Woodfall Junior schools. The school was built in 1967-1970.
Ofsted Report Nov 2014 – Outstanding. Download Ofsted Report