The following are the criteria on which a persons suitability for co-option will be considered;
Relevant knowledge, Education, Professional Qualifications & Training
• Sound knowledge and understanding of local affairs and the local community.
• Other requirements as appropriate
• A levels/Degree level and or
• Specific Vocational training or professional qualification (e.g. accountant, teacher, surveyor, architect) may be specified.
Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Ability
• Solid interest in local matters.
• Ability and willingness to represent the Council and their community.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
• Ability and willingness to work closely with other members and to maintain good working relationships with all members and staff.
• Good reading and analytic skills.
• Ability and willingness to work with the council’s partners (e.g. voluntary groups, other parish councils, principal authority, charities).
• Ability and willingness to undertake relevant training.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Knowledge of HR, procurement, contract management, financial control or risk management and compliance, public relations
• Experience of working in another public body or not for profit organisation
• Experience of working with voluntary and or local community/ interest groups.
• Basic knowledge of legal issues relating to town and parish councils or local authorities..
• Experience of delivering presentations.
• Experience of working with the media.
• Experience in financial control/budgeting
• Experience of staff management
• Ability and willingness to attend meetings of the council (or the meetings of other local authorities and local bodies) in the evening and events in the evening and at weekends.
To view a Parish Councillor Job Description please click HERE