Minutes Full Council 28 January 2014
Prior to the meeting at 6pm Ewan McHenry (CWaC Senior Locality Manager – Rural Communities Locality Working Directorate) and Chris Capes (Programme Manager Rural and Market Towns) met with Councillors to outline the Town Centre improvements linked to the S106 project from the developer contribution from Sainsbury’s. A separate record of this informal meeting is held.
The Mayor thanked the officers for their presentation and attendance.
Present: Cllrs Marlow (Mayor), Barker, Carter, Cox (from item 132), Cummins, Derraugh, Griffiths, Hughes, Kynaston, Loch, Owen (from item 139 (2)), Shipman and Wilkie and Mrs A Kunaj (Town Clerk).
In attendance: Two members of the public and Mrs C Lloyd (Cllr Lloyd wef item 135 – see below)
PART 1: Items considered in the presence of the press and public
129 Questions to Council: None.
130 Apologies for absence were received by Jilani and Sharkey. Council accepted the apologies.
131 Declarations of Interest: Cllr Carter declared a non-pecuniary interest in paragraph ‘d’ 4th bullet point of the strategy for change report, ‘replacement of Parkgate station’.
132 Council approved the minutes of the Council meetings held on 10.12.13, 07.01.14 and 10.01.14 as true and correct records. The Mayor signed and dated the minutes.
133 Town Councillor Resignations: Council acknowledged the resignations of Mrs Moira Andrews, who formally held a position of Councillor for Parkgate Ward and was the inaugural Chairman of Neston Town Council, Mr Roy Burkey and Mrs Carrie Spacey who formally held the positions as Councillors for Neston Ward.
134 General Power of Competence (GPoC)
- Council noted that 12 elected Councillors are required in order to qualify for the General Power of Competence, and NTC currently has 11. Neston Town Council no longer qualifies for the GPoC.
- Councillors received the report from the Clerk, and considered the implications for Neston Town Council. A proposal in order to address the resignations of councillors will be tabled at the next Council meeting.
135 Councillor Vacancies: Council noted the two vacancies in Neston Ward and one vacancy in Parkgate Ward. CWaC had advised that no elections had been called. Council considered filling the vacancies by co-option.
Neston Ward: Council received a proposal to co-opt Mrs K Owen to fill one of the casual vacancies on the council for Neston Ward, the proposal was seconded. The proposal was unanimously carried. Council resolved to approve the co-option of Mrs K Owen to fill the first casual vacancy on the council for Neston Ward.
Neston Ward: Council received a proposal to co-opt Mr P Lloyd to fill the second casual vacancy on the council for Neston Ward, the proposal was seconded. The proposal was unanimously carried. Council resolved to approve the co-option of Mr P Lloyd to fill the second casual vacancy on the council for Neston Ward.
Parkgate Ward: Council received a proposal to co-opt Mrs C Lloyd to fill the casual vacancy on the council for Parkgate Ward, the proposal was seconded. The proposal was unanimously carried. Council resolved to approve the co-option of Mrs C Lloyd to fill the casual vacancy on the council for Parkgate Ward.
136 Mayor’s Report: Members received the Mayor’s written report.
137 Clerk’s Report: Members received the Clerk’s oral report.
CWaC Localities deputy officer Elaine Grant wished to advise council of her availability to meet with them each Wednesday at Neston Library.
138 Distribution of Council Documentation National Association of Local Councils (NALC) Legal Topic Note 1
138.1 Members considered the advice provided by NALC in Legal Topic 1 August 2012. The Clerk drew Cllrs attention to item 24 ‘Need to Know’. Members were in full support of the continuation of the electronic distribution of all agendas and supporting documentation for every meeting for and to every councillor.
138.2 The council resolved that with immediate effect for when a Councillor request that a substitute Councillor to attend at a meeting, the member selecting the substitute will be responsible for passing the Committee papers (hard copies) to that substitute member.
139 Minutes and Recommendations of Committees and Working Groups
- Society and Culture Committee–(Cllr Griffiths) 17.12.13
- Council noted the minutes and resolved to approve (R1) ‘that the Annual Meeting of the Council, which includes the public handing over of the chains to the new Mayor followed by a short speech, will commence in the Town Hall at 7.30 pm’. The Annual Meeting of the Council will be held on 20 May 2014.
- Members noted that the ToR for the S&C has been amended to state publication scheme ‘guide’.
- Planning and Environment Committee – (Cllr Derraugh) 05.12.14, 09.01.14 and 17.01.14.
- Council noted the minutes and resolved to approve the following recommendations:
- Minutes 05.12.12 item 119 ‘amendment to the P&E Terms of Reference under Responsibilities and Delegated Powers by the addition of;
- Speed Limits: ‘To consider requests for reductions in speed limits for roads within the Neston Town Council area’, and ‘to submit requests to CWaC Highways Department using the agreed budget provision’.
- Minutes 09.01.14 item 132: Members noted that the policy for P&E Delegated Powers for Planning Applications has been amended to include ‘for any amended plan that has been considered previously by P&E Committee’
- Finance and Town Centre Services Committee (Cllr Barker) 14.01.14
- Council noted the minutes, and that recommendations had been listed in ‘Part 2’ as they contained confidential information – see below item 148
- S106 Working Group (Cllr Barker)
- Members received the s106 meeting notes 31.10.13, along with two reports ‘Neston Public Realm Improvements Communication Strategy 14.01.14’ and ‘The Cross, High Street, Neston Junction improvement Scheme’ A further s106 meeting had taken place on 23.01.14, an update was provided at the pre meeting.
- Strategy Working Group (Cllr Wilkie)
- Council received a report of the Strategy Working Group meeting 20.01.14.
- In addition to the proposals and recommendations made in the ‘Strategy for Change’ Implementation Plan report 28.01.14 REF/004, the same report with comments for discussion from the Clerk, who had been unable to attend at the working group meeting had been circulated. Prior to the meeting, the Mayor had received in writing proposals for a large number of amendments to the document proposals and recommendations (these were circulated to all members at the meeting). It was requested that the minutes showed that the proposals in the document ‘Strategy for Change’ Implementation Plan report 28.01.14 REF/004 had not been agreed by council.A proposal was made and seconded to defer ‘Strategy for Change’ discussions until after the Town Council office move and for the outcome of the discussions to be tabled at the Council meeting scheduled for 08.04.14. The proposal was carried.
140 Committee Vacancies
140.1 Council noted the current Committee Structure 2013-14.
140.2 Council approved the appointments of Cllr Owen to the P&E Committee, Cllr Kynaston to the S&C Committee and Cllr C Lloyd to the F&TC Committee.
141 CH64 Events Group Vacancy (Cllr Carter)
Council approved appointment of Cllrs Carter and Kynaston as the Town Council representatives of the CH64 Events group.
Council agreed the reconciliation of the Neston Town Council current account and the 12 month investment account and bank statements to the 30.11.13. The Mayor initialled the balancing figures.
143 Publication Scheme
Council resolved to approve and formally adopt the Publication Scheme REF/002.
144 Standing Order and Financial Regulations
144.1 Council resolved to approve amendment to the Councils Standing Orders regarding procurement policies SO 29a v ‘where the contract has an estimated value of less than £40K to state ‘where the contract has an estimated value of less than £60K’ and SO 29b ‘the execution of works with an estimated value in excess of £40K’ to read ‘the execution of works with an estimated value in excess of £60K’.
144.2 Council resolved to approve the following amendments to the Councils Financial Regulations 11 (b), (g), (h) for reference to contracts of £40K to read £60K in line with the SO amendments in the above item 144.1, and in line with guidance received from NALC.
145 Cheshire West and Chester local plan (part one) strategic policies Enclosed
Council noted the submission of the Cheshire West and Chester local plan (part one) strategic policies and additional information contained in the report.
146 Little Neston Post Office
Council noted that following the consultation, a decision has been taken to move to the new premises of Lo Co Store, 1 Town Lane, Little Neston with effect from 27.01.14.
Two members of the public left the meeting
147 Exclusion of the Press and Public: Council resolved that under the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 (as extended by s.100 of the Local Government Act 1972), the public and accredited representatives of newspapers be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 by virtue of the paragraph specified against the item.
Part 2: Items considered in the absence of the press and public
148 Finance and Town Centre Services Committee (Cllr Barker) 14.01.14
Council considered the recommendations outlined in the F&TC Committee meeting 14.01.14, REF/003 document.
In order to conclude the items of business council resolved to suspend NTC standing order ‘meeting shall not exceed a period of 2 hours’.
The appointment of a new Administrative Assistant
The appointment of a panel charged with the appointment of a new Administrative Assistant.
The appointment a new Market and Estates Officer.
The appointment of a panel charged with the appointment of a new Market and Estates Officer.
The recruitment timetable.
Remuneration for the Admin Officer
The formulation of a structure for the staff, for adoption by council.
Council resolved to approve using the powers vested in them under the Local Government Act 1972. S112, the F&TC Committee recommendations with some amendments as detailed in the ‘Record of the approved recommendations from F&TC Committee meeting 14.01.14 considered by Council on 28.01.14 REF/003’.
149 Strategy Working Group: This item was deferred see item 139 5) above.
To consider further Strategy Working Group recommendations (following on from and subject to approval of Strategy for Change’ Implementation Plan report 28.01.14 recommendation 15) REF/004
- Assistant Town Clerk change of role.
- For the F&TC Committee in conjunction with the Clerk to agree a job description.
150 Town Hall Lease agreement
Council resolved that the proposed CWaC’s heads of terms for the Town Council’s occupation of rooms at Neston Town Hall were acceptable. The formal lease agreement will be requested.
151 Date and time of next meeting: The next Full Council scheduled meeting was confirmed as 4th March at 6.30pm. A pre meeting for the next Council meeting has been scheduled with Ewan McHenry (CWaC Senior Locality Manager – Rural Communities Locality Working Directorate) starting at 5.30pm.
Meeting closed at 8.55pm