Draft Minutes of Council Meeting 1 May 2014
Present: Cllrs Marlow (Mayor), Barker, Carter, Cox, Derraugh, Hughes, Kynaston, C Lloyd, P Lloyd and Shipman and Mrs Kunaj (Town Clerk).
Absent: Cllrs Jilani and Owen.
In attendance:Emma Mitchell and Keith Parr
PART 1: Items to be considered in the presence of the press and public
187 Questions to Council
Mr Parr spoke in support of the application for a premises licence – see item 192 below.
The following points were brought to Council’s attention:
- The opening in Parkgate would be for longer than in Elephant Coffee, 9am – 11pm and would be primarily to sell coffee, with ancillary drinks and wines.
- There is a lounge area where customers can drink until 11pm.
- It is hoped that this venue would bring back to Parkgate something that the applicants felt had been lacking for a number of years and that they would be able to trade on their strength – selling coffee.
188 Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs Cummins, Griffiths, Loch, Sharkey and Wilkie and were accepted.
189 Declarations of Interest: None.
A proposal was made by the Mayor that item 192 be brought forward – see below
RESOLVED that item 192 Application for Premises Licence be brought forward for consideration.
The conditions on which Council could raise objections to the application were stated.
- To prevent crime and disorder, if it endangered public safety, if it caused a public nuisance or if it was deemed to cause harm to children.A proposal was made by the Mayor to suspend standing orders. RESOLVED that standing orders were reinstated in full.192 Application for Premises Licence– thisitem was carried forward – see below Mayor’s initial and date
- RESOLVED that no objections be raised to the application for the premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003 for Elephant Coffee, Hamilton House, The Parade, Parkgate, Neston.
- A proposal was made that the licensing hours permitted were consistent with the planning application that had been made. The proposal was not seconded. The proposal fell.
- A proposal was made and seconded to raise no objections to the application for premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003 for Elephant Coffee, Hamilton House, The Parade, Parkgate, Neston.
- A proposal was made by the Mayor to reinstate standing orders.
- It was confirmed that the selling of alcohol would be for both on and off licence; however, the sale of alcohol would not be before mid-day. Snack food would be available throughout the day, and it is intended for sharing platters to be available early evening.
- It was pointed out that the planning application and application for the licence were different. Council were assured that the application had been made through the proper channels and the applicants would adhere to everything that was asked of them.
- RESOLVED that the standing orders be suspended in order to allow members of the public to speak.
Members of the public left the meeting
190.1 Accounting Statements and End of Year Accounts
RESOLVED that Council approved the end of year accounts ending 31.03.14; the consolidated balance sheet; the income and expenditure account for the year end 2014 and the fixed assets. The Mayor initialled and dated the balancing figures.
RESOLVED that Council approved Section 1 – Accounting statement for 2013/14 and for the Mayor and the Responsible Financial Officer to sign the accounting statement.
190.2 Section 2 – Annual governance statement for the year end 31.03.14.
RESOLVED that Council approved Section 2 – Annual governance statement for the year end 31.03.14 and for the Mayor and the Responsible Financial Officer to sign the accounting statement.
191 Committee Terms of Reference
A proposal was made by the Mayor that the Terms of References (ToR) for the Council’s Standing Committees for the new Council year, commencing 20.05.14 be approved.
A proposal was made and seconded that for the P&E Committee ToR clause 10, the word ‘process’ be added to the sentence, following the word ‘approval’ and in addition at the end of that sentence, to add the words ‘engaging volunteers and/or professionals as necessary’. The amendment was carried.
A proposal was made and seconded that for the Human Resources Committee ToR, a new clause 8 be added ’consider matters related to human resource issues referred to the Committee and to make recommendations to the Council’. The amendment was carried.
A proposal was made and seconded that for the F&GP Committee ToR clause 9 for the replacement of the word ‘approve’ at the beginning, with ‘recommend’. The amendment was carried.
RESOLVED that the substantive motion be approved.
192 Application for Premises Licence– thisitem was carried forward – see above
To consider the application for premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003 for Elephant Coffee, Hamilton House, The Parade, Parkgate, Neston.
193 Any other Items that the Chairman determines are urgent for discussion, or item for the next agenda.
- That the F&GP Committee reviews the security of the Council’s funds held in the Co-op bank, seeking confirmation of the amount of the indemnity held.
194 Date and time of next meeting:
The date of the next scheduled meeting of the Council was confirmed as the Annual Meeting of the Council to be held on 20.05.14 at 7.30pm at Neston Town Hall, Neston.
Meeting closed at 2.45pm