Finance & Town Centre Committee 23rd April 2013

Minutes of the meeting of the Finance and Town Centre Committee held on Tuesday 23 April at 6pm at Neston Community and Youth Centre

Present: Councillors Barker, Jilani, Loch, Marlow and Shipman (substitute for Cllr Pugh)

In attendance: Cllr Griffiths and one member of the public

PART 1: Items considered in the presence of the press and public

Meeting 9

123     Election of the Chairman

The Deputy Mayor, Cllr Marlow opened the meeting and asked for nominations for the Chair of the F&TC Committee.

A proposal was made and seconded to elect Cllr Jilani as the Chairman of the Finance and Town Centre Committee to serve until the Annual Meeting of the Council in May 2013. The proposal was carried. Cllr Jilani took the Chair.

124     Apologies for absence were given by Cllr Pugh and were accepted.

125     Questions to the Committee: None.

126     Declarations of Interest: None.

127     The minutes of the Finance and Town Centre Committee meeting held on 19.03.13 were approved and signed by the Chair as a true and correct record.

128a   Clerk’s report:

  • Local Government Pensions: There is an employer meeting on 15.05.13 at the Civic Hall in Ellesmere Port. At the meting there will be an opportunity to discuss and prepare for the new LGPS Scheme, the Fund’s valuation and the investment strategy review. Cllr Jilani will attend if available.
  • National Market Traders Federation: Councillors are invited to a NMTF road show at Manchester Town Hall on 23.05.13.
  • Clayhill: The Clerk confirmed that the Committee’s request for the sign for Clayhill to read ‘Neston Business Park’ had been made. No response has been received. Cllr Loch will investigate this with CWaC officers (item 114)

128b  Asset Transfer

      128b.1 Pre Feasibility Grant: Members noted that the Pre Feasibility Grant funds of £8,694.00 had been received.

128b.2 This is Neston Event: Members noted that CWaC Cllr A Williams will provide financial support of £220 from his Councillor allowance for the event. The Committee retrospectively approved funding of £150 for refreshments for the ‘This is Neston’ event, and agreed for the funds to be taken from budget 1070 contingency.

128b.3 Neston Market Trader event: Members were advised that CWaC are making arrangements for discussions to take place with the Neston Market traders and will be in partnership with NTC.

Chairman’s initial and date                     

128b.4 Town Centre Manager

a)   The Committee resolved to approve for a 3 year contract mobile phone for use by the Town Centre Manager to be purchased, using a maximum budget of £1,000 (for the three years). The Town Centre Manager is to investigate the options available and report back to Council. A request for the funding from the s106 monies will be made at their next meeting.

b)   The Committee agreed for the top floor building adjacent to the Market square, the ‘Community Office Space’ to be the Town Centre Manager’s place of works when requiring the use of an office.

c)   The Committee resolved to approve for the Town Centre Manager’s attendance at a ‘RUDI.NET’ one day event ‘Unlocking the Potential of Property and Public Space’ at a cost of £225.00 + VAT, to come from the training budget 1290 . The event will take place in Hatfields, London on 09.05.13.

 

128b.5 Allotments: Members noted that the legal papers and additional information is required in order for the Clerk to investigate the ‘temporary’ allotment site and the legal transfer and for them to be added to the Council’s insurance policy have not arrived. The issues had been taken up with CWaC officers, but to no avail. Members agreed for the Clerk to advise CWaC that without the title deeds, NTC would not take any further actions. Without the title deeds NTC cannot get legal advice from their solicitors.

Members agreed that the plot-holder fees that had paid to NTC should be banked.

129     Town Centre Training Opportunities and Events

           129.1 Action for Market Towns

       Members considered Council attendance at the AMT, Town Team Initiative Workshop event in Poynton, Cheshire, from 9.30am to 4pm on11.06.13. Members noted that places had been booked for Cllr Derraugh and Shipman, with a reserve place booked for Cllr Cummins.

130     Cheshire Pension Fund Ill Health Liability Insurance Plan for LGPs

               Members noted that the Legal & General Policy documents have arrived and are available for inspection in the Town Council office.

131     Finance

131.1 The Committee resolved to approve the Due Expenditure £29,097.54 net

131.2 The Committee retrospective approved the Paid Expenditure £1,491.80 net

131.3 The Committee noted the received income of £20,756.87 and the due income of £5,054.30.

131.4 The Committee considered the budget comparison to 31.03.13.

Cllr Barker left the meeting

          The Committee did not raise any concerns.

 

132     Section 106 and Town Centre: Members received an oral report of the previous s106 meeting. The plan for the Cross is due for completion by April 2014 and works may start in September 2013.  At the ‘This is Neston’ event mixed views had been received.

The member of the public left the meeting

Chairman’s initial and date                     

133     To consider the exclusion of the Press and Public

The Committee resolved to approve that under the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 (as extended by s.100 of the Local Government Act 1972), the public and accredited representatives of newspapers be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 by virtue of the paragraph specified against the item.

 

134Asset Transfer

134.1 The Committee considered the record of the meeting with CWaC Asset Management team and Locality 26.03.13.

134.2 The Committee considered the advice provided by the Council’s solicitors and Locality. Members agreed for the Clerk to send the advice received from their solicitors to CWaC for their legal department to provide a view.

 

135Payroll

The Committee considered the current service provided and agreed it wished to consider alternative options. The Clerk was instructed to seek one further quotation.

136     Any other items which the Chairman determines are urgent for discussion or next agenda item.

  • To consider if Council wishes to have contents insurance for the Town Hall

137     Date of next meeting: The Committee noted that the date and time of the next meeting, would be agreed at the Annual Meeting of the Council, held on 21.05.13.

 

The meeting closed at 7.50pm