The Friends of Ness Gardens was established in 1962 to support the work of Ness Botanic Gardens. The Friends is a registered Charity (No: 511294) with over 3,800 memberships, representing over 5,000 individuals.
- 80p out of every £1 of membership fees goes directly to support the running and maintenance of the Gardens.
- 20p out of every £1 of membership fees contributes towards grants for specific projects.
Projects supported by the Friends have included: Wildflower Meadows; the award-winning Ness Botanische garden; installation of the Pingo waterfall; the Making Waves garden; the awarding winning Taste of Ness show garden at RHS Tatton Flower Show – and more recently, the Wilder-Ness project; the Learning Programme; improvements to the terraces and pine woods; as well as student bursaries.
- Free entry to the Gardens during public opening times, after hours until dusk (March-October only) and on selected days during the Christmas holidays.
- Free entry* to Kew & Wakehurst Place, Oxford Botanic Gardens, Birmingham Botanical Gardens, and the Royal Botanic Gardens of Edinburgh and its satellite gardens. * entry requirements vary, please see venue’s own website for details.
- Free seeds from plants in the Gardens.
- Members’ events exclusive to Friends, free lectures and discounted rates for courses.
- Days out to other gardens on an organised coach trip programme.
- The Gentian magazine sent to you 3 times a year.
- 10% discount in the Botanic Kitchen
- 10% discount at Premier Plants, Ledsham
To join the Friends of Ness Gardens, ask at the Admissions Desk on your next visit or contact the Friends Office via: 0151 795 6312 or email