The Neston area is blessed with lots of footpaths and bridleways, with beautiful countryside, coastal views and history. Here are a few suggestions.
01. South and East of Willaston
02. North of Willaston
03. West of Willaston
04. Around Burton
05. Little Neston and the Dee
06. Ness Village
07. Wirral Country Park, Little Neston
08. Neston and Hinderton
09. Parkgate and Gayton
10. Around Raby
11. Little Neston, Denhall and Ness Gardens
12. A Wirral Shore-to-shore trail
The cycle rides described here are also possible walks, including the new Burton Marsh Greenway.
Other Local walks are described in the following leaflets, which can be downloaded as pdf:
Neston Collieries Trail
You can search for local walks at www.walk4life.info, which provides Ordnance Survey maps of walks.
You can also search for local walks at http://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/
Regular guided walks:
- Fridays Meet Ness Gardens car park, CH64 4AY. 10.30 a.m. 1 – 1½ hour walk takes in the estuary and has some inclines. Some paths may be muddy. Not suitable for beginners.
- First Saturday of each month Meet: Neston Library Car Park CH64 6QE. 10.30 a.m. 2 – 2½ hour walk at a faster pace Some paths may be muddy. Not suitable for beginners
For more information contact Age UK Cheshire on 01270 219 487
We are grateful to the Wirral Footpaths and Open Spaces Preservation Society for allowing the publication of walks 1 – 10.
Books of walks
Walking on South Wirral Footpaths A sllim volume packed with descriptions of walks, and a full list of footpaths and bridleways. Compiled by Max Kirby. Published by
Wirral Footpaths and Open Spaces Preservation Society. ISBN 0954161416
Wirral Shore Way, Chester to Hoylake
A slim volume describing a 20 mile walk via Puddington, Burton, Little Neston and Parkgate, by Carl Rogers, published by Mara Publications 1994 ISBN 0952240904
Wirral Walks, by Anthony Annakin-Smith, has 27 walks, many close to the Neston area, with interesting historical information. 2nd ed 2010, Published by Sigma Leisure www.sigmapress.co.uk. ISBN 9781850588511 (Anthony kindly gave us permission to include Walk 12, from this book.)
FOLLOW THE COUNTRY CODE.
- Enjoy the Countryside and respect its life and work.
- Guard against all risk of fire.
- Fasten all gates
- Keep your dogs under close control.
- Keep to public paths across farmland.
- Use gates and stiles to cross fences, hedges and walls.
- Leave livestock, crops and machinery alone.
- Take your litter home.
- Help to keep all water clean.
- Protect wildlife, plants and trees. Take special care on country roads.
- Make no unnecessary noise.