Distance 20 miles
Car Parking: Station Road, Neston;
Nearest Railway Stations: Neston (Wrexham/ Bidston line), Hamilton Square (1½ miles) (Merseyrail): the ride goes close to New Brighton station (after 32 below, turn right into Atherton Street).
Nearest cycle repairs: Pedal Power, Burton 07502 370 261 until 8 p.m.; Roy Davies Cycles 65 Market Street, Hoylake 0151 632 1419; The Bike Shop, 453 Hoylake Road, Moreton 0151 606 0101; Birkenhead Cycles 258 Conway Street, Birkenhead 0151 647 9966 email
1. Join the Wirral Way at Station Road, Neston, or at Church Lane, Neston.
2. Immediately after the wooden bridge over Brooklands Road, Parkgate, turn sharp right down the ramp, and up the bridleway.
3. At Wood Lane, turn left.
4. At Boathouse Lane, turn right – TAKE CARE!
5. Turn first right into Leighton Road, and first left up the Runnel.
6. Cross Chester High Road, using the central refuge, into Parkgate Lane.
7. Join Neston Road, into Thornton Hough Village, where there are toilets on the right, a pub and a shop.
8. Fork left up Smithy Hill, and left along Manor Road.
9. Turn right along Talbot Avenue.
10. Turn right onto Brimstage Road – TAKE CARE!
11. In Brimstage Village there is a café and craft shops on the right.
12. Fork left along Brimstage Lane, which is narrow in places.
13. Join Red Hill, up to Storeton Village
14. At the roundabout take the first exit and immediately turn right into Landican Lane – TAKE CARE!
15. Keep straight on where the lane becomes a bridleway. This can be wet and muddy in places.
16. When you meet a metalled road, turn right onto Landican Lane.
17. At Woodchurch Road, use the Toucan crossing into Ackers Road.
18. At the roundabout, turn right into Home Farm Road, and left along New Hey Road.
19. Turn right along Carr Bridge Road, and at the end turn right into New Hey Road.
20. After 200 yards, turn right along a tarmac path across a grassed area.
21. By the Upton By-Pass, turn right over the M53, and join the on-road cycle route over the railway.
22. Cross the Upton By-Pass using the Toucan crossing, and left and right along the dedicated cycle track alongside Fender Way.
23. Turn right into Bidston Village Road, and in Upper Bidston Village turn left along School Lane.
24. At the roundabout, use the Toucan crossing into Bidston Link Road.
25. Just after the railway, turn sharp left and under Bidston Link Road alongside Bidston Moss Nature Reserve, where there are cycle tracks and mountain bike tracks.
26. Turn sharp left, then right under the M53, alongside the North Wallasey Approach.
27. After ¼ mile, turn right, then left along Cross Lane. Cross Leasowe Road at the traffic lights.
28. Follow Greenleas Road, which becomes Bayswater Road.
29. At the main road, turn sharp left, cross the road using the central refuge, and go sharp left along the cycle track alongside North Wallasey Approach.
30. Turn right along Green Lane, and right into the car park to the North Wirral Coastal Park.
31. Turn right along the coastal cycle path and King’s Parade for 1¾ miles to New Brighton. Following the development of New Brighton, the route is not well-defined. If you keep by the shore, you may find some narrow sections and some blown sand, and you may need to stop for walkers.
32. At a roundabout, take the first exit along Marine Promenade. There are restaurants, pubs and cafés.
33. As you turn south you enter Tower Promenade, Magazines Promenade, and Egremont Promenade, which are traffic-free. The Egremont pub upstairs has views of the Mersey.
34. Sandon Promenade and Seacombe Promenade are also traffic-free, and there are pubs and cafés.
35. At Seacombe Ferry you can take the ferry to Liverpool Pierhead or to Birkenhead Woodside, or cycle 1½ miles along roads to Hamilton Square station, or return to New Brighton for the station.
This ride is partly along roads, and partly traffic-free, and mostly fairly level. It is well signed. It includes sections with views of the Dee, along the north coast of the Wirral and along the Mersey, some interesting countryside and by contrast some built-up areas. A Cycle Wirral Map is produced free by Travelwise Merseyside 0151 330 1235.