Burton Marsh Greenway (Sustrans Route 568) was officially opened 18 July 2013.
Distance 10 miles
Car Parking: Station Road, Neston Nearest Railway Stations: Neston and Shotton (Wrexham/ Bidston line) Nearest cycle repairs: Pedal Power, Burton, NESTON 07502 370 261 until 8 p.m.; Absolute Bikes, 1 Pinfold Lane Industrial Estate, BUCKLEY CH7 3PL 01244 552 000
A map of the route can be found here – under East Flintshire: a paper copy is in Neston Library – also labelled East Flintshire
1. Along Sustrans Route 56 cross the Millennium bridge. By a wooden sign, turn right along a short track.
2. Turn right onto Church Lane; be careful going under the low and narrow bridge.
3. Turn right along Route 568 past the Air Cadets building and across Tanks Field.
4. The track turns sharp left and joins Flint Drive.
5. At the end, turn right onto Allans Meadow.
6. At the end, turn right onto West Vale. The Lady Hamilton is a few yards to the left, then right in Henley Road: it serves meals.
7. Take the 4th right onto Kenilworth Road, which becomes Homecrofts.
8. At the end, turn right onto Marshlands Road, which turns left into Quayside.
The Harp Inn is open every day: it serves meals.
9. Keep straight on along the tarmac (and gravel) track alongside the Dee salt marshes. Net’s Coffee Shop at Denhall House Farm offers refreshments 9 – 5 every day in summer, 9 – 4 in winter.
10. Join Station Road, Burton, and keep straight on. Up the hill is Ness Gardens, with Garden Kitchen cafe.
11. Where the road turns left, turn right via the double gate onto the old Steel Road. Up the hill, in Burton Village, is Burton Manor Cafe, open Fri – Sun 10 – 4.
12. Past Burton Point on your left, the track turns left over a cattle grid along the new boardwalk, then up the railway embankment, across the border into Wales, then down.
13. Bear left along the old Steel Road and under the 1951 railway bridge, which carries a branch line.
14. Turn left onto a road and under the Bidston – Wrexham railway line.
15. Turn right up a tarmac track alongside the railway and under the A548 dual carriageway.
16. Straight on into Deeside Industrial Park Zone 3, along Tenth Avenue.
17. Turn right along Tenth Avenue, following signs. The sign is broken.
18. Join a cycle track on the right of the road, then straight on along a bus road, which turns right and left. To the left along Fourth Avenue is Jim Dandy’s Truck Stop CH5 2NR, open 24 hours a day for WC and vending machines, 2 – 10 pm for meals. Or follow signs for Zone 2 along Parkway for Subway , Starbucks and Burger King, all CH5 2NN 19. Follow signs to join National Cycle Route 5.
19. Turn left for Chester, or right for Shotton station and North Wales.
1. Follow Sustrans Route 568 signs from National Cycle Route 5 into Deeside Industrial Estate Zone 3.
2. Straight on along Tenth Avenue.
3. Left onto Tenth Avenue.
4. Bear right onto track alongside and under A548 dual carriageway.
5. Left onto road, under the Bidston – Wrexham railway line.
6. Right under 1951 railway bridge.
7. Right, before Ministry of Defence signs, onto track up to railway embankment.
8. Across the border into England, down embankment and along boardwalk.
9. Right along the Old Steel Road, past Burton Point.
10. Through double gate and left onto Station Road, Burton.
11. Bear left along track alongside Dee salt marsh.
12. Straight on along Quayside, and right up Marshlands Road.
13. Second left along Homecrofts, which becomes Kenilworth Road.
14. Bear left along West Vale.
15. Fourth left, by shops, along Allans Meadow.
16. Second left along Flint Drive.
17. Straight on to tarmac track, which turns right across Tanks Field, with Stanney Brook on the right.
18. Left onto Church Lane (ignore the sign saying turn right), be careful under low narrow bridge, and first left aong a short track to Sustrans route 56 (Wirral Way).
19. Turn left and over the Millennium Bridge to return to car park Station Road, Neston. To the left along Station Road and right at mini-roundabout are cafes, pubs, restaurants and takeways in Neston. There is a public cycle pump at Neston Cross.