Distance 30 miles
Car Parking: Station Road, Neston
Nearest Railway Stations: Neston (Wrexham/ Bidston line), Chester
Nearest cycle repairs: Pedal Power, Burton 336 8766 until 8 p.m.; Dave Miller Cycles 41 Frodsham Street, Chester 01244 326 506; The Edge 14 Upper Northgate Street, Chester 01244 399 888; Action Bikes 104 Northgate Street, Chester 01244 310 077.
1. Start at Neston station, using the ramp up to the Wrexham platform on the east side of the station.
2. Take the train to Shotton station.
3. Push your bike down the ramp, right under the bridge, and right up the ramp to the Bidston platform. Continue along the platform to Shotton lower station, over the bridge above the Holyhead to Chester railway line, and down the steps to the Chester platform. Turn right down a small ramp to join a track parallel to the Bidston railway line.
4. After the cycle barrier, cycle ahead and up the ramp onto the bridge across the Dee.
5. At the end of the bridge, turn sharp right down the ramp to the track along the river embankment, and turn left (upstream towards Chester).
6. After two miles, note the quay on the other (left) bank of the river where wings for the A380 Airbus are loaded onto a barge for Mostyn Quay and on to Toulouse.
7. One mile further go under the footbridge at Higher Ferry House.
8. After two more miles, the path ends where the Dee turns sharply to your right. Cross a play area with a bike play area, and cross Sealand Avenue at the light-controlled crossing.
9. Go along Vernon Road, into Whipcord Lane. Facing you is a doorway with steps up to the Shropshire Union Canal.
10. Go along the towpath to your right, up the slope past the staircase of three locks.
10a. To reach the centre of Chester, fork right up a ramp to Water Tower Street. At the end, turn right into Northgate Street, which takes you to the centre of Chester.
You no longer need a certificate to cycle along the towpath of canals.
Cycle Ride 07 is now an alternative way to Deeside, instead of the train.