Today Ness village is dominated byNess Botanic Gardens, started more than 100 years ago by A K Bulley who moved there in 1898 after making his money as a cotton broker in Liverpool. He planted shelter belts of trees and laid out the gardens. He started a commercial nursery, which became Bees Limited. He used the gardens to promote his products. Mr Bulley was also a very important sponsor of plant collectors, which led to plants from overseas being established in Britain. After his death his daughter Lois Bulley gave the gardens to Liverpool University in 1948. Today the gardens are a major tourist attraction and botanical research centre, researching, among other things, the effects of global warming on shallow lakes.
Mealors of Ness were well known horse drawn plough makers in the late 19th century and the early 20th century. Joseph Mealor held two patents on ploughs, granted in the 1890s. Their ploughs were sold all over the country and had a good reputation. They also made metal railings and park benches. The company moved from Ness to Queensferry in 2010, and the premises were converted to housing:
In the centre of the village is a K6 phone box, listed Grade II:
Goldstraw Farm is a Grade II listed building:
Laburnum Farmhouse is a Grade II listed building:
Ness has many attractive terraces of cottages. Lloyds Cottages are a Grade II listed building:
Ness Conservation Area is unusual – it includes a large area of farmland, as well as the built-up area. This is to include three sunken lanes that run towards the estuary. The Rake runs along the north-west border of Ness Gardens, and can be explored for a very short distance. Northwest of that is an unnamed farm track. Snab Lane, off Well Lane, can be explored for a short distance:
The Town Council office is currently closed for visitors due to Covid19, however if you have an enquiry please contact the Council via the main telephone number on standard weekdays between 9.30am and 12.00pm.