There’s been a heritage trail round the town centre for some years now, so it was good to be able to inaugurate the Parkgate trail.
Thanks to an allocation from the member’s local budget of the late Cllr Brenda Dowding, a set of seven brass plaques have been attached to historic sites along the Parade. The unveiling of the plaque outside St Thomas’s in Mostyn Square was symbolic of unveiling the complete collection.
Thirty or so residents braved the cold wind to hear Alan Passmore, secretary of the Parkgate Society, introduce the ceremony. He explained that the original idea was to commemorate the most worthy of Parkgate’s sons and daughters Sir Wilfred Grenfell (“Grenfell of Labrador”), born in Mostyn House in 1865. Thwarted when the Society wanted a road named after him, they hit instead upon the idea of the brass plaques, including one at Mostyn House.
Picture by Roy Wison
The Vicar having been unable to attend at short notice, Deputy Warden Lesley Irvin assisted with the unveiling after which all repaired out of the cold to the relative warmth of the church and a welcome tea or coffee.
An audio commentary of the trail is available for downloading on this community website at https://www.neston.org.uk/about-the-area/things-to-see-and-do/local-audio-trails/ The plaques are at Mostyn House, Dover Cottage, Sawyer’s Cottage, The Old Watch House, Balcony House & Assembly Room, St Thomas’ Church, and Seven Steps, Teal Cottage and the Old Butcher’s Shop.